2020 Advanced Engineering Internship - Robotics
- Location HOBOKEN, NJ
- Department Other
- Team Internship
- Employment Type -
- Position -
- Requisition GH1807639
What you'll do at
This Is That Place where opportunity knocks. Our Walmart eCommerce team is obsessed with finding ways to help our customers live better, raising the bar for an entire industry along the way. You’ll play a crucial role in shaping the future of shopping, working with crazy talented people in an environment that values kindness and transparency. With the energy of a startup and the scale of the Fortune One, it’s the ultimate innovator’s playground. Are you hungry to own your career and catapult ideas into action? Read on.
The Robotics Intern, Advanced Engineering is responsible for assisting the Advanced Engineering team with the integration and programming of advanced robotics solutions. These solutions have the potential to be used within the extended Walmart e-commerce fulfillment network (including Walmart sortable, Walmart Non-sortable, Jet Sortable, Jet Fresh, Sam’s Club, Hayneedle, Shoebuy, etc.).
Challenges you’ll be tackling:
Implement Core Technologies: You will be responsible for evaluating core technologies and integrating them in unique and creative ways that helps solve a business problem and improve the customer and associate experience. This may include designing, programming, results tracking, and testing robotic solutions to today’s fulfillment challenges.
Contribute to the Design of Next Generation Technologies: You will assist with the technical research and design of next generation technologies to support the growth of the e-commerce fulfillment network, the use and application of automated processes within the extended Walmart e-commerce fulfillment network, and the identification of solutions that support the vision for the implementation of cutting edge automated systems.
Work in conjunction with several team members: You will evaluate innovative automation solutions and make recommendations to the engineering leadership team on potential solutions that meet/exceed the requirements of network wide deployment, collaborate with the suppliers and other cross functional partners to identify necessary systems, network, electrical, pneumatic and controls design requirement and coordinate the execution of necessary activities to successfully complete the automation pilot/proof of concept.
- Track results and challenges, solve problems, and provide dynamic support for the rollouts of automation solutions
- Assist the Advanced Engineering team in making decisions about the future of robotics within the Walmart Global eCommerce network
- Support continuous improvement by actively adhering to lean principles, design of experiments , failure mode effect analysis, Design for Six Sigma, design for Mean Time To Repair (MTTR).
- Based on the system design, make recommendations to strategy, operations and process/systems engineering team on key performance indicators and service level goals.
- Ensure that technical assistance is provided to the Program Managers, General Managers (GMs), operations team leaders and maintenance personnel through the implementation, start-up and operation of new automation as needed.
- Aid the GMs and their teams with respect to properly leveraging the investment in automated equipment and overall fulfillment process, as needed.
- Help raise the technical capabilities of the facilities by assisting in the training of maintenance personnel and operations personnel.
- Provide training and assistance in writing Standard Operating Practices (SOPs), establishing Lean methodologies, maintenance and service procedures, parameter settings, etc., as needed.
How you’ll know it’s right:
Analytical Thinking/Problem solving – Demonstrates aptitude for solving complex problems by understanding the underlying root cause of a difficult situation/requirement. Breaks down complex problems in to small parts and solve them in a systematic manner that achieves the overall desired results. Can identify and evaluate multiple options and alternatives and effectively determine the appropriate action based on available information.
Adaptability - Demonstrates resourcefulness and resilience in the face of change, obstacles, and adversity. Adapts to competing demands and shifting priorities. Updates knowledge and skills to handle new complexities, challenges, and responsibilities (for example, seeking out training, learning from experience, researching best practices, new emerging technologies, and companies that can be leveraged for future solutions). Seeks exposure to new ideas and perspectives.
Judgment - Analyzes and integrates trends and patterns to determine the root causes of problems and identify solutions. Evaluates short- and long-term implications of decisions. Leverages personal experience and the experience of others to assess existing technologies.
Execution and Results - Uses the advantage of company size, internal and external resources, and talent to achieve success. Applies broad, cross-functional knowledge and resources to produce results that best fit the company strategy. Prioritizes and balances time, actions, resources, and initiatives to ensure accomplishment of critical results.
Customer/Member Centered - Creates and maintains an environment that provides customers/members with desired products, services, and experiences. Combines experience, insight, and data to determine how to best exceed customer/member needs. Develops and implements initiatives, practices, and plans to capitalize on customer/member-focused growth and improvement opportunities. Ensures the removal of barriers to delivering exceptional customer/member value, service, and support.
Planning and Improvement - Develops and implements plans and practices ensuring others have the information, resources, implementation time, and talent needed to succeed. Engages in continuous improvement and elimination of non-value-added work. Failure Mode Effects Analysis (FMEA), Design of Experiments (DOE), Finite Element Analysis (FEA), Design for Six Sigma, design for Mean Time To Repair (MTTR), etc. as appropriate.
Influence and Communicate - Develops and communicates logical, convincing justifications, including lessons learned, that build commitment and support for one's perspectives and initiatives.
Ethics and Compliance - Supports an environment where adherence to and reinforcement of the highest standards of integrity and ethics are the norm. Identifies opportunities and acts to enhance compliance.
Can travel domestically to support Advanced Engineering initiatives.
- Currently pursuing a degree in Engineering, preferably Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or Computer Engineering
- Maintain a 3.0 GPA
- Demonstrates an aptitude and passion for automation and robotics
- Effective communicator, able to effectively convey ideas and solutions to stakeholders
- Experience with robotics and/or results tracking