Senior Data Engineer
- Location HOBOKEN, NJ
- Department -
- Team -
- Employment Type -
- Position -
- Requisition GH2084377
What you'll do at
Walmart’s Store No 8 is an innovation hub formed by the world’s largest retailer focuses on identifying and investing in trends and technologies reshaping the shopping experience. It's mission is to create step change in-store experiences, leveraging emerging technology to help define and deliver on evolving customer expectations. Its success requires a cross-functional, mission-based team that is highly entrepreneurial, collaborative and passionate about solving the unsolved problems.
We are looking for an exceptional Senior Software Engineer to help design, build and run the business data platform that powers streaming data generated by a fast-moving landscape. This team places an emphasis on producing robust, scalable, self-service solutions that enable Engineers and Analysts to perform complex streaming transformations across a wide array of use cases to power insights, decisions, and machine learning within the Intelligent Retail Lab ecosystem.
About the Role
This role will be responsible for utilizing industry best technologies and practices to enable analysis, intelligence, and processing of some of the largest datasets at Intelligent Retail Lab in near-real-time. As a Senior Software Engineer, this role will be counted on to have a deep understanding of technology internals in order to tune and troubleshoot individual jobs, as well as a high-level understanding of the landscape to drive value adding features to the platform. This role would take on the following responsibilities:
- Collaborate with Product Owners and Team Leads to identify, design, and implement new features to support the growing real time data needs of Intelligent Retail Lab
- Assist and mentor Junior Engineers in troubleshooting and tuning of high volume, distributed applications.
- Identify and suggest or implement remediation of cases where we diverge from industry best practices
- Evangelize and practice an extremely high standard of code quality, system reliability, and performance to ensure SLAs are metfor uptime, data freshness, data correctness, and quality
- Display sense of ownership over assigned work, requiring minimal direction and driving to completion in a sometimes fuzzy and uncharted environment
- Focus on enabling developers and analysts through self-service and automated tooling, rather than manual requests and acting as a gatekeeper
- Participate in on-call rotation, including continuously seeking to reduce noise, improve monitoring coverage, and improve quality-of-life for on-call engineers
- 3-5 years experience in running, using and troubleshooting industry standard data technologies such as Spark, HDFS, Cassandra, Kafka
- Deep development experience, ideally in a typed language but we are open to other experience if you’re willing to learn the languages we use
- Experience processing large amounts of structured and unstructured data in streaming and batch.
- Experience with integrating with Business Insights tooling, ideally Power BI from Microsoft
- Experience with cloud infrastructure. We use Azure, specifically, but any will do
- A focus on automation and providing leverage-based solutions to enable sustainable and scalable growth in an ever-changing ecosystem.
- Experience building and maintaining a centralized platform or services, to be consumed by other teams, is ideal, but not necessary
- A passion for Operational Excellence and SRE/DevOps mindset, including an eye for monitoring, alerting, self-healing, and automation
- Experience in an Agile environment, able to manage scope and iterate quickly to consistently deliver value to the customer