Associate Director, Insights Consulting – Behavioral Scientist Customer Science
- Location HOBOKEN, NJ
- Department Customer Experience
- Team Customer Experience
- Employment Type -
- Position -
- Requisition GH1974943
What you'll do at
About the Job
Whether you're on a store project (Walmart Stores) or a digital experience (Walmart.com, apps, etc) or a business product that touches all channels (omni channel), you will help the team see the big picture with your deep understanding of behavioral economics, behavioral science, and other quantitative and qualitative research methods. You will work on bigger projects strategically, while also be willing to dive into the details as a project progresses through its lifecycle. You understand how to use behavioral science and economics to lead every facet of a customer experience or product's journey. From determining positioning, naming, competitive analysis, feature prioritization, behavioral nudges, behavioral mapping, external communications, you help shape the the product and experience and help it grow a loyal consumer base. This means you work with a cross-functional team across stores, marketing, corporate strategy and communications, legal, product development, engineering, A/B testing, and more. In this role, you'll be involved in shaping experiences and product from beginning to end.
The Customer Science team is a team with high executive visibility and provides the opportunity to work across job levels, functions, and product areas at Walmart. Our goal is to provide insights, behavioral sciences best practices, tools, and services to help Walmart create experiences that delight and engage our valued customers.
As a founding member of the behavioral science component of the broader team, you will be a key part of building out Walmart’s behavioral science capability. This capability will become an increasingly important part of understanding how to create engaging, delightful experiences, that enable continued of growth for the company across all parts of the business, from stores to digital experiences, and beyond. As a behavioral scientist within the team, you will be a fully dedicated strategic thinker, shaping the future of our omnichannel customer experiences (i.e. helping customers see the benefits of shopping with us in stores and online). Using your background in behavioral science and experimental research methods, you will inform decisions about how we design our experiences, products, product features and the overall user experience.
In this role, you will be helping to build out the behavioral science function within the Customer Science team. You will join a team of experienced insights practitioners, insights consultants, and research experts, and will collaborate closely with store teams and digital experience owners to design experiences and product changes informed by behavioral science. This is a highly collaborative role and you’ll develop ongoing relationships with a variety of teams to help build sustainable, long-term growth. You will participate and lead, weekly experiments, leverage your experience with behavioral econ principles, and advocate for behavioral sciences and economics to drive strategy and customer satisfaction. Your work will be cross-functional, highly collaborative, and will have a measurable impact on every project you support.
You know behavioral sciences, behavioral economics, and how to design and run experiments. You know the magic of your craft. You connect the two to make experiences amazing.
You will sweep us off your feet if you have...
- Deep understanding of behavioral science, and you have experience identifying and incorporating human insights into all phases of design and product development.
- You’re an expert in conducting, sharing, AND incorporating qualitative and quantitative research.
- Experience building things from scratch and working effectively in evolving, fluid and fast-paced environments.
- Experience conducting behavioral science research activities in an academic and industry setting.
- Proven track record of research activities for new products as well as existing products.
- Ability to design and run research in physical and digital settings / environments.
- Experience applying known behavioral science and economic principles in an industry setting.
- Ability to build collaborative partnerships with all team members; Brick and Mortar, Digital Product and Engineering teams, et cetera.
- Ability to effectively influence and communicate across all levels of management.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced, fast-changing environment.
- Excellent business judgment, problem-solving, and analytical skills.
- Ability of managing competing priorities and keeping organized.
You will make an impact by...
- Using behavioral science insights to create better experiences for our customers.
- Running experiments and studies that help us design better experiences for new things and things already in the market.
- Running studies that quantitively show how to improve experiences.
- Bringing your deep understanding of behavioral sciences and behavioral economics principles to the table on every project you work on demonstrate how we can apply these principles to improve what we have and create new experiences.
- Doing the research yourself and, where possible, show other teams how to do some of the research themselves.
- Sharing your insights with team members across a wide range of backgrounds and roles and they understand your work, the data, and how to take action on your insights.
- Designing, conducting, and analyzing experiments to determine the most impactful marketing and in-product design strategies.
- Providing behavioral science consultation to store, product, and marketing teams.
- Advocating behavioral science methods more broadly across the company and generalize learnings into a framework that can help bring behavioral science to scale.
- Working effectively with vendors as well to implement research.
- Conducting, sharing and incorporating research that influences the product roadmap as well as the overall vision + strategy.
Bachelor's degree in Business Administration or related field and 4 years' experience in marketing research, data analytics, consulting, or related field OR 6 years' experience in marketing research, data analytics, consulting, or related field.
- MSc or Phd in Behavioral Science/Economics or equivalent practical experience.
- 5 years of experience in project management and design, applying behavioral science insights and experimental research methods to real-world challenges in consulting, policy, or academic research.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed in the role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. The full job description can be made available as part of the hiring process.