Principal Software Engineer - Search
- Location HOBOKEN, NJ
- Department Technology
- Team Engineering
- Employment Type -
- Position -
- Requisition GH1932121
What you'll do at
What We Do
The search team at Walmart Labs and Jet is dedicated to the mission of helping millions of customers every day in finding the right products. We are at the forefront of attacking one of the most complex problems of e-commerce. Whenever a user types in a query or browses through product categories on the web site, phone or iPad, our service goes to work. We mine billions of search queries and tens of millions of products to find the most relevant products for our customers. Team members take end-to-end responsibility in analyzing large amounts of data, creating complex models, improving their accuracy and deploying these models to serve customers.
E-commerce product search, much like web search, has always been a fertile area of AI innovation. Search team at Walmart Labs and Jet is working on fascinating AI/ML problems like deep NLP based query understanding, improving relevance ranking of products, semantic matching of query <-> item pairs using embeddings, visual search to enable search by image, etc. As part of this team, you'll solve some of the most challenging and impactful problems in machine learning, information retrieval, natural language processing, computer vision or statistical measurement. Your work will be visible to hundreds of millions of customers and you will have a direct impact on the goals of the Fortune #1 company. If you speak and think machine learning then we want to talk to you. Come join our team and be part of this exciting journey.
What You Will Do
- Understand client requirements and translating them into road map items and feature request.
- Ensure the successful delivery of client projects in time and in quality.
- Ensure smooth operations of our streaming and data platform in accordance with the SLA's promised to our customers
- Focus on Operational Excellence and automation where possible.
- Drive a continuous improvement of our software development and release process.
- Overlook release processes and procedures
- Manage a healthy balance between technical debt and client features.
- Ensure the happiness and productivity of individuals and the team as a whole
- Manage relationships with suppliers and a deep involvement in buy vs build decisions.
- Stakeholder management.
- Overlook cost and ensuring an efficient use of resources.
- Engage and drive technical architecture designs and discussions.
- Drive our technical roadmap and direction of our stack.
- Collaborate with Cross functional teams, Product and Business
What You Should Have
- Experience in delivering and operating cloud native applications and on-premise applications.
- Masters degree in computer science and 10+ years of professional experience or matching experience.
- Strong customer and quality focus.
- Urge to drive continuous process improvement and innovation
- Passion to mentor and guide team members
- Excellent understanding of designing and building scalable, high-availability, high-throughput, distributed, and concurrent applications
- Experience in running and developing JVM based systems.
- Experience with distributed processing engines like Spark or Flink
- Experience with distributed databases like Cassandra
- Experience using messaging systems like Kafka.
- Solid experience with Alerting/Monitoring tooling
- A deep understanding and emphasis on testing and testing types/methodologies
- Ability to learn and adapt new technologies, passion for continuous improvement
- Experience running and deploying applications in cloud environments
- Excellent understanding of continuous build and continuous integration tools and processes
- Experience in managing the entire software development life cycle
- Deep understanding of and passion for agile methodologies
- Experience building and/or maintaining machine learning models and pipelines
- Experience building and maintaining large scale data pipelines in online advertising, recommender system, ecommerce or relevant areas
- Familiarity with Deep Learning.
Imagine working in an environment where one experiment can catapult an entire industry toward a smarter future. That’s what we do at Walmart Labs. We’re a team of 5,000+ software engineers, data scientists, designers and product managers within Walmart, the world’s largest retailer, delivering innovations that improve how our customers shop and our enterprise operates.