Head of Agency Development (Director)
- Location HOBOKEN, NJ
- Department Retail
- Team Walmart Media Group
- Employment Type -
- Position -
- Requisition GH1878427
What you'll do at
Walmart Media Group is seeking an experienced Head of Agency to help build and sell Walmart Media Group’s advertising solutions to our key partners benefiting from our proven conversion driven and brand building solutions. You’ll contribute to a high-caliber team in a business that is experiencing rapid and dramatic growth. We are looking for demonstrated performance in a constantly changing, ambiguous environment; and problem-solving leadership with limited oversight.
In this role you will lead a functional team of senior Global Agency leads to nurture trusted and valued relationships with the most senior leadership layers of holding company and independent agency partners.
This role will manage Holding Company agency relationships with a focus on the C-Suite and agency investment leads. In partnership with upper management, this role will develop our Agency Partnership Framework, ultimately serving as their WMG trusted advisor, while driving WMG's data, measurement, media, and analytics revenue. This position requires extensive knowledge of the changing agency & media landscape, the drive to develop industry-transforming strategies and the ability to build relationships with senior agency management. The ideal candidate has media agency planning experience, a deep knowledge of measurement & analytics used to evaluate performance, and a proven ability to influence multiple levels of an organization.
- Build WMG’s annual and quarterly Strategic Plan for assigned agencies, including analysis of Agency revenue
- Oversee bottom-up quota setting across markets and ensure functional ‘voice of the agency’ input is comprehended prior to final AOP
- Establish consistent benchmark of excellence across all Agency Development leads including; the development of holistic Joint Business Plans (JBP’s) and the semi-annual refresh of investment targets; leverage of external scalable tools/ frameworks to measure Search/Native KPI’s (investment, feature adoption, # accreditations etc); QBR’s to drive frequent and intentional conversation around joint accountability; ‘test and learn’ initiatives
- Build and elevate relationships at the highest levels within the assigned agencies, C-Suite, Senior Agency Influencers to continuously uncover strategic opportunities to drive WMG revenue on a global, regional, and local level
- Identify and lead the development of joint business projects and/or beta opportunities with assigned agencies
- Serve as internal voice of the agency customer to help shape product and marketing roadmaps
- Agency account management including, but not limited to: maintaining contact lists, establishing meeting cadence with (internal and external) key stakeholders, seeking out new relationships/contacts, developing quarterly business reviews, organizing and coordinating agency education initiatives (cross discipline agency days and/or training sessions), fulfilling ad hoc agency request and breaking down obstacles
- Contribute to WMG’s tentpole senior-level engagements and activations (i.e CES, Cannes, AdWeek) with assigned agencies
- Partner with Global Accounts and SMB sales teams to contribute to and uncover category and client-level opportunities globally and regionally at both the Agency and Brand level
- Collaborate with Global Accounts, SMB team, and appropriate cross functional partners to ensure coordinated approach to agency teams, with the goal of driving demand and maximizing revenue growth
- Collaborate with a number of internal specialists (i.e. data, platform, measurement, media, analytics) as needed to meet Strategic Plan requirements and to continuously identify relevant opportunities for your agencies
- Keep abreast of WMG’s capabilities and product offerings via distance learning and on-site training
- Strong Internal communication (written and verbal), ensuring Sales, Sales/Revenue Operations, and other department leaders are well informed
- Develop and negotiate trading agreements at an agency holding company level
- Be a trusted thought leader to both external stakeholders and investment teams throughout the country by leading consistent agency education initiatives and events
- Oversee an ‘in-service-to’ model with Global Sales, and partner closely with Global Sales leaders to align on strategy and initiative implementation for our largest agency partners.
- Operate at the ‘tip of the spear’, immersing in industry shifts (in-housing, rise of independent agencies and consultancies etc) and competitive offerings, to bring an ‘outside-in’ perspective, framing new sales initiatives and recommendations (eg. CMO engagements) as needed
- Demonstrate thought leadership in the industry; act as an ambassador and spokesperson for WMG in the agency community.
- Develop network of strong relationships with key search and media industry influencers, customers and partners.
- Identify, grow and retain the best and brightest talent, while fostering an open, diverse and inclusive culture.
- BA/BS degree required, MBA a plus
- 12+ years marketing experience in an agency or media sales support function with a focus on retail media, lower-funnel conversion strategies, data and analytics
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically about a particular industry and/or product set.
- Comfortable with presenting to clients and agencies—in both small or large groups
- Familiarity with agency holding companies and strong relationships across the agency landscape
- Ability to partner within cross-functional teams
- Ability to consult and bring ideas to the table
- Strong teamwork and collaboration skills
- Ability to build internal networks to accomplish goals through collaboration with resources across teams
- Strong writing and copy-editing skills
- A self-starter who takes initiative and is action oriented
- Can balance the need for quick turnaround with longer-term strategic efforts
- Is flexible and can deal effectively with changes in priorities or ambiguity
- Is driven and solution-oriented and can overcome obstacles to drive projects through completion
- Comfortable with a fast-paced, always-on, start-up environment
- Strong belief in Walmart’s vision and goals
- Demonstrated Marketing Automation and Programmatic Advertising expertise
- Exhibits a high level of competency in oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated expertise in building relationships with senior agency decision makers.
- Customer-obsessed, Curious, Collaborative, Consultative, Courageous and Competitive
- Interested in understanding a business’s finances
- Authentic and passionate
- Respectful, Inclusive, Honest, Transparent
- Positive and solutions-oriented
- Sense of humor
About Walmart Media Group
At Walmart, we’ve led retail for over 60 years by keeping our customers’ needs at the center of everything we do. Our latest innovations leverage our online reach and massive network of physical stores to save 160 million weekly omnichannel customers time and money in ways no other retailer can match.
Walmart Media Group is building a robust in-house advertising business that’s key to Walmart’s growth strategy. We partner closely with brands on strategies and solutions that harness Walmart’s unparalleled omnichannel influence. We deliver relevant retail ads and experiences that connect our customers with the brands and products they love. And we use Walmart’s proprietary online and in-store data, encompassing 95% of American households, to measure campaign-correlated sales on our site and in our stores.
Walmart isn’t simply the world’s most successful retailer — we’re the world’s largest company. This is a unique opportunity to be part of a high-visibility team backed by the most talented retail colleagues in the world and over six decades of success. Join us.