Head of Incubation
- Location HOBOKEN
- Department -
- Team -
- Employment Type -
- Position -
- Requisition GH1836556
What you'll do at
Head of Incubation
Join us as we ignite the change that changes everything.
Store Nº8 is Walmart’s incubation arm. We're working on developing leapfrog capabilities that will transform the future of retail. We incubate and partner with entrepreneurs, early stage start-ups, VCs and academics to innovate across a wide variety of areas including virtual and augmented reality, machine learning, and artificial intelligence. We’re creating a portfolio of companies—currently including Jetblack, Spatial&, Intelligent Retail Lab, and more—acting as a force driving commerce forward.
About the role
As the Head of Incubation for our incubator, you will be in a highly visible, entrepreneurial and autonomous, requiring sound judgment and a keen ability to work well in ambiguous situations. You will be responsible to lead incubation efforts that would develop a robust POV for how key emerging technologies will impact the retail business model and customer experience (with focus 3-5+ years out). You will need to meet with VCs and well-known entrepreneurs, while also staying close to key innovation experts and academics – all of which, will ensure you are connected to leading innovations taking place in the market.
What you’ll do
- Develop a robust POV for how key emerging technologies will impact the retail business model and customer experience (with focus 3-5+ years out)
- Create and manage the process to intake and evaluate ‘step change’ innovation ideas from inside and outside the company and drive towards a business case and recommendation for incubations within Store No. 8
- Build a network of innovators, thought leaders, and influencers that results in entrepreneurs with new ideas seeking out Walmart and Store No.8. This is a source of “deal flow” from which Store No.8 can find some of its next portfolio companies
- Develop an incubation project pipeline that includes innovative retail business models and customer propositions as well as emerging technology applications.
- Manage approved slate of incubation efforts/projects through the early stage of incubation including technology POC and development of product or service MVP with the goal of reaching a decision point for each project. Each incubation effort to include at least some (if not all) of the following activities:
- Product (including customer/associate experience as appropriate)
- Hardware and software development
- Initial go to market plan development
- Business model development and valuation
- Recommendation for Store No. 8 company start up
- Core business engagement, pressure testing and support building (where appropriate)
- Build a new talent pipeline and infrastructure for incubation – establish culture, core team, and processes dedicated to developing new technologies & MVPs for Store No. 8 and Walmart
- Manage an incubation team and budget
What You’ll Need
- 6-8 years of experience in management consultancy, technology, investing banking, or venture capital roles with a focus on retail and/or startups; MBA preferred
- 3-5 years of experience managing a team
- Self-starter with analytical skills, able to identify innovative opportunities, assesses viable solutions, and develop and execute complex projects and comprehensive action plans in ambiguity
- Passion for entrepreneurship, innovation, technology, and/or retail
- Conveys a sense of urgency in ways that motivate others to complete responsibilities and achieve goals
- Uses relevant business metrics, analyses, and research to create hypotheses and data-driven recommendations. Identifies and applies sound, fact-based criteria in setting priorities and making decisions
- Highly organized and self-motivated with distinctive problem-solving capabilities
- Able to deal tactfully, respectfully and effectively with a diverse array of individuals; develops and communicates logical, convincing reasons, including lessons learned, to build support for one's viewpoints and actions. Involves others in decisions and plans that affect them, when appropriate.
- Demonstrates creativity and strength in the face of change, obstacles, or adversity. Adapts to competing demands and shifting priorities. Updates knowledge and skills to handle new complexities, challenges, and responsibilities.
- Equally comfortable devising strategic initiatives and operationalizing tactical projects
- Willing both to get your hands dirty and to liaise indirectly with teams
- Aware of what needs doing and keen to make it happen, however big or small
- Ability to directly manage and build teams