Head of Shared Services
- Location HOBOKEN
- Department -
- Team -
- Employment Type -
- Position -
- Requisition GH1836438
What you'll do at
About Store No. 8
Join us as we ignite the change that changes everything.
Store Nº8 is Walmart’s incubation arm. We're working on developing leapfrog capabilities that will transform the future of retail. We incubate and partner with entrepreneurs, early stage start-ups, VCs and academics to innovate across a wide variety of areas including virtual and augmented reality, machine learning, and artificial intelligence. We’re creating a portfolio of companies—currently including Jetblack, Spatial&, Intelligent Retail Lab, and more—acting as a force driving commerce forward.
About the role
As the Head of Shared Services for our incubator, you will be responsible for ensuring that all functional and operational activities of the incubator as well as our startups are fit for purpose, reflective of startup DNA (i.e., fast AND world-class), and balances risk with speed and effectiveness of delivery. You will cover areas such as recruitment, HR, IT, Legal, FP&A, Procurement, Payments, Tax, Insurance and Real Estate ... and anything else that might pertain to setting up and keeping the lights on in our incubator and any of our startups. And you will do all the above while ensuring that you keep our costs low by using existing resources at Walmart (and galvanizing them to accept changes to hard-coded corporate processes) vs. creating a headcount heavy team.
What you’ll do
- Build world-class processes from the ground up and provide ongoing improvement based on feedback from the startups and Walmart corporate functions
- Manage day-day triage on anything that is broken or impeding the startups from being able to function at breakneck speed, escalating concerns to the Head of Strategy & Operations where needed
- Balance startup demands for nimble (and often doing away with) processes with ensuring that we aren’t exposing ourselves to excessive regulatory, compliance or financial risks
- As strategic sourcing forms a sizeable part of our spend, work closely with Walmart strategic sourcing and our startups to ensure that great processes exist for quickly setting up and managing contracts while ensuring that overall risk and spend are kept as low as possible
- Aggressively pursue self-service and automation opportunities so that any corporate overhead with providing functional support to the startups is always kept low
- Serve as thought partner and co-executor to any of the startups when they are looking to build operational/functional processes within their own organizations
What You’ll Need
- 4-6 years’ experience in management consultancy, investing banking, or operational roles with escalating responsibility; MBA preferred
- Self-starter with analytical skills, able to identify problems and/or opportunities for improvement, assesses viable solutions, and develops and executes complex projects and comprehensive action plans
- Conveys a sense of urgency in ways that motivate others to complete responsibilities and achieve goals.
- Uses relevant business metrics, analyses, and reports to measure, monitor, and improve performance. Identifies and applies sound, fact-based criteria in setting priorities and making decisions
- Highly organized and self-motivated with distinctive problem-solving capabilities
- Able to deal tactfully, respectfully and effectively with a diverse array of individuals; develops and communicates logical, convincing reasons, including lessons learned, to build support for one's viewpoints and actions. Involves others in decisions and plans that affect them, when appropriate.
- Demonstrates creativity and strength in the face of change, obstacles, or adversity. Adapts to competing demands and shifting priorities. Updates knowledge and skills to handle new complexities, challenges, and responsibilities.
- Equally comfortable devising strategic initiatives and operationalizing tactical projects
- Willing both to get your hands dirty and to liaise indirectly with teams
- Aware of what needs doing and keen to make it happen, however big or small
- Ability to directly manage teams (you will be managing a team of 2-3 direct reports off the bat)