Category Manager, Team and Individual Sports
- Location HOBOKEN, NJ
- Department Retail
- Team Enthusiast and Professional
- Employment Type -
- Position -
- Requisition GH1775821
What you'll do at
Category Manager - Team and Individual Sports
- Develop assortment, pricing, merchandising, marketing & product strategies to deliver to sales & profit goals & grow market share for your category.
- Drive team of category specialists to execute your strategies & iterate as needed, using effective communication & clear strategies.
- Determine white space in assortment/brands & secure partnerships to cover these using national brands or private brand partners.
- Own vendor relationships & strategically drive vendors to create unique assortments, deliver best-in-market pricing & ensure fast delivery.
- Build aspirational product stories & marketing assets, working with marketing partners to build traffic drivers for distinct customer profiles.
- Build best-in-class item content for entire assortment through efficient item set-up management.
- Ensures online presence supports desired shopper/customer experience for products within a moderately-to-highly complex category across multiple websites, including product presentation, content, customer reviews and enhancements.
Market Positioning and Analytics:
- Manages analysis for a moderately-to-highly complex category, including themes and competitive landscape, to stay on the cutting edge of product and eCommerce advancements impacting own category
- Understands category site selection and product gaps in the category; works with team to close gaps
- Continually evolves the category’s assortment strategy and logistics experience by leveraging analytics and through in-market expertise
- Owns and optimizes the product sourcing mix across manufacturers, distributors and third-party retailers, and manages warehouse inventory levels for directly-sourced product
- Supports GM in developing data-driven business plan for a moderately-to-highly complex category with tangible execution steps
- Manages budgets, sets priorities and implements savings opportunities
- Ensures achievement of category financial targets (e.g. GMV and margin), and identifies (and executes upon) levers to achieve those targets
- Supports GM in managing P&L
- Manages all performance metrics for a moderately-to-highly complex category
- Oversees the creation and maintenance of all item set up to ensure product line is accurately depicted in multiple systems for sales tracking for a moderately-to-highly complex category
- Monitors product and category performance to identify improvement area and develops plans to drive enhanced results
- Demonstrates expertise in multiple systems and sites throughout the category
- Defines success for a moderately-to-highly complex category and engages team to deliver business results consistent with category strategy
- Works with GM to ensure vision and strategy are aligned with the broader organization; Supports GM with strategy development as needed
- Negotiates product costs, volume, etc. with brands for a moderately-to-highly complex category
- Ensures proper distribution and pricing across warehouses and distributors for a moderately-to-highly complex category
- Develops partnerships with retailers for a moderately-to-highly complex category
- Develops deep expertise in inventory Management, Planning, and Site Merchandising as key to customer experience ownership for a moderately-to-highly complex category
- Works with editors, writers and content sources to ensure category has the appropriate content, reviews and shop-ability features
- Collaborates with marketing team around category promotions
- Builds and leads a team to execute on business area or category objectives
- Coaches team members and provides feedback to enhance skills, knowledge and work performance
- Has performance and career development conversations
- Maintains team motivation and engagement
- Mentors Category Specialists
- Empowers associates within a moderately-to-highly complex category to execute their tasks and make decisions by trusting their capabilities, expertise and encouraging learning
- Encourages and helps others to improve on current ways of working, promotes new and innovative ideas and recognizes/rewards good ideas