Head of Merchandising- Art.com
- Location EMERYVILLE, CA
- Department -
- Team -
- Employment Type -
- Position -
- Requisition GH1730693
What you'll do at
Head of Merchandising, Art.com
Want to help change the future of online art buying? Ready to work with a team of bright minds at the intersection of content, commerce, and technology to build the world’s most customer-centric online art shopping experience?
Art.com was recently acquired by Walmart and is experiencing unprecedented growth. With an entrepreneurial spirit that fosters teamwork and professional development, our business is poised to redefine the way consumers decorate and shop for their home.
We are looking for a Director of Merchandising to help drive art buying and online, data-driven merchandising strategies to win customers for life. The ideal candidate will possess 6+ years of e-commerce experience in an analytical culture and demonstrated experience managing a team of site merchandisers and buyers.
This role will report to the President of Art.com and will be based at Art.com headquarters in. Emeryville, CA.
Who will love this job:
- A customer-obsessive - You bring customer focus to everything you do and inspire others to do the same
- A creative marketer – You are excited to apply your creativity to run meaningful and fun promotions for customers.
- A self-starter - You are ambitious and resourceful, able to move forward effectively with little direction
- An operator - You get stuff done, have a desire to make operations run more efficiently and have a sense of urgency around action, accuracy and feedback.
- A problem solver - You see “yes” as the answer and are creative about breaking down barriers.
- A confident leader - You are assertive and can motivate associates across functions
- An effective communicator - You disseminate information clearly to audiences of all backgrounds and levels
What you’ll do:
The Head of Merchandising will lead a team focused on delivering and executing actionable insights, analyses and recommendations that inform day to day business and long-term strategy for Art.com. This position will oversee, drive and improve processes related to product procurement, content integration, site merchandising, and onsite personalization. The Head of Merchandising is responsible for achieving topline and bottom line sales plans, conversion goals, usability performance targets and corporate objectives.
- Build a creative, inspiring and integrated customer-centric assortment, curation, editorial and promotions strategy
- Build, oversee and drive storytelling strategy, incorporating business priorities and trends to create market-leading content that drives repeat visits and increased engagement
- Help customer discover, acquire and enjoy art they love.
- Partner with product team and leadership to advance merchandising capabilities in service of customer problems for example: personalization and customization.
- Utilize strong analytical skills to optimize site features and customer experience
- Oversee team quality metrics and define ways to improve
- Manage, mentor and develop team for future growth within the department and organization
- Thoroughly understand competitive landscape primarily focused on assortment, curation, navigation, search, customer experience, and driving product roadmap priorities
- Identify and implement strategies that improve visitor engagement, conversion and LTV
- Improve customer experience ratings, conversion metrics and profit
- Partner with other Marketing leaders to improve customer acquisition and retention rates
Why you’ll succeed:
- You have demonstrated strong user centricity and empathy in your previous merchandising roles
- You show an irrepressible curiosity. Constantly delving behind the data to discover creative solutions for customers.
- You have a well-articulated and defendable POV on customers and their problems
- You approach everything from a lean/agile mindset, focusing on customer value and service-based leadership.
- You are an expert facilitator with the ability to lead valuable discussions with cross-functional team members that result in actionable outcomes.
- You have the ability to work with vendors and extract value with focused challenges
- You are known as highly collaborative and transparent, committed to breaking down silos.
- You are obsessed with continuous improvement.
- You’re not afraid to experiment with new ideas, both from a process and a customer experience perspective.
- Excellent communication skills, able to make complex technical concepts/solutions easy to grasp, using written and visual documentation.
- You have proven leadership and management skills.
What you have:
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum of 7-10 years’ experience in e-commerce in a data driven environment
- 4 years of demonstrated experience managing a team
- Proficiency in e-commerce platforms, site analytics tools (e.g. Google Analytics and Adobe Site Catalyst), and familiarity with content management tools
- Technical aptitude with web-based tools and proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
- Understanding of retail e-commerce landscape, including “best practice” features and functionality
- Strong communication, interpersonal, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent writing, speaking and presentation skills
- Ability to be action and detail oriented, organized with ability to manage teams to execute within deadlines
- Strong resource workload and capacity management skills with a proven ability to manage multiple resources, priorities and a large volume of business
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to manage relationships with cross functional resources
- Sound business judgment
- Effectively presentation skills for individuals at all levels
- Willingness to take on responsibilities outside primary job description when necessary
- Initiative in a fast-paced environment with competing priorities
- Self-motivated and resourceful with a creative mindset
What we can offer:
- Exciting, challenging problems to solve - you'll never have a boring day at the office
- A refreshingly fun work environment where you will collaborate with a smart and talented team of merchandisers, designers, marketers, engineers and business folks who care most about getting things done
- Unique chance to work with our family of brands: Walmart, Jet, etc.
- Opportunity to participate in the growth stage of a business