As a Manager of Data Science and Analytics at Walmart eCommerce, you'll discover insights that drive operational and product strategy for Walmart customers. You will lead projects end to end and have the opportunity to work with huge, diverse and rapidly growing data sets to understand our customers pain points and optimize their experience.
You will be responsible for providing tactical insights to help define and drive the retail organization’s key KPI’s and initiatives. The ideal candidate will become a thought leader in empowering the business teams with data-driven recommendations for boosting customer overall experience.
You will work closely with the returns experience team to identify business opportunities through data exploration to increase the effectiveness of returns decisions. You will also develop analytics for our merchants and suppliers to help identify and fix root cause issues to reduce returns and improve the overall customer experience. You will also identify the critical performance indicators that will help ensure the returns experience program achieves it's desired goals. You will apply a problem solving approach, will be agile and able to apply the right frameworks and business analysis to each phase of the program life-cycle.
Major Responsibilities of This Role Include
Measure / Quantify / Expand
- Retrieve, synthesize, and present critical data in a format that is immediately useful to answering specific questions or improving system performance.
- Analyze historical data to identify trends and support decision making.
- Improve upon existing methodologies by developing new data sources, testing model enhancements, and fine-tuning model parameters.
- Provide requirements to develop analytic capabilities, platforms, and pipelines.
- Apply statistical or machine learning knowledge to specific business problems and data.
Explore / Enlighten
- Formalize assumptions about how users are expected to behave, create statistical definition of the outlier, and develop methods to systematically identify these outliers. Work out why such examples are outliers and define if any actions needed.
- Given anecdotes about anomalies or generate automatic scripts to define anomalies, deep dive to explain why they happen, and identify fixes.
- Make Decisions and Recommendations
- Build decision-making models and propose solution for the business problem you defined
- Conduct written and verbal presentation to share insights and recommendations to audiences of varying levels of technical sophistication.
- Utilize code (Python/R/SQL) for data analyzing and modeling algorithms
- Designs, develops, and presents strategic recommendations that directly address key business questions
- Conducts tracking and measurement of KPIs related to recommendations and socializes to the broader teams
- Advanced degree in Statistics, Math, Engineering, Economics or related field
- Must be self-driven and passionate about retail and must be customer centric. Demonstrable track record of dealing well with ambiguity, prioritizing needs, and delivering results in a dynamic environment
- 4-8 years’ experience in business analytics and data science
- Proficient with SQL (experience in Hive and Teradata utilities preferred)
- Proficiency with multiple analytics tools required; Python or R strongly preferred
- Hands on experience with BI tools; Tableau /R shiny/Looker
- Ability to explain/present complicated/advanced analytical methodology and results to non-technical audiences
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent quantitative modeling, statistical analysis skills and problem-solving skills. Sophisticated user of statistical tools.
The Walmart US eCommerce team is rapidly innovating to evolve and define the future state of shopping. As the world’s largest retailer, we are on a mission to help people save money and live better. With the help of some of the brightest minds in merchandising, marketing, supply chain, talent and more, we are re-imaging the intersection of digital and physical shopping to help achieve that mission.