Category Specialist - Retail eCommerce
- Location SAN BRUNO, CA
- Department Retail
- Team Retail
- Employment Type -
- Position -
- Requisition GH1622003
What you'll do at
Calling future leaders
Own a Business,
Launch Your Career
Why work on a business when you can own it? Walmart’s Retail Entrepreneur Acceleration Launchpad (REAL) is a one-of-a-kind opportunity for Category Specialists to own, manage, and scale an eCommerce category from day one, with the backing of the world’s largest retail company.
In REAL, you’ll:
- Become a retail category expert
- Develop stand-out business acumen
- Learn alongside industry trailblazers
- Experience unrivaled growth
- Lay the foundation for a go-anywhere, do-anything career
In a nutshell, your job will be combining your creative intuition, analytical skills, eye for trends, and passion for helping our customers to create the best shopping experience on the planet – for one specific category (E.g. if you owned ‘denim’, you would be responsible for jeans, jackets… everything, for our global marketplace!) Putting your interpersonal and persuasion skills to use, you’ll collaborate with vendors, marketing, product, and supply chain teams to make sure we sell what customers want.
Have an idea? Go for it. You’ll have access to merchandising tools and technology to help test, validate, and bring your ideas to life on one of the world’s largest eCommerce platforms.
We’re hiring in the San Francisco Bay / Silicon Valley and New York Metro areas, and accepting applications for future roles in the Boston Metro, Omaha Metro or Madison Heights, MI areas.
Dive in with best-in-class training …
It all starts with our immersive 12-week training program, where you’ll be trained in all required skills, tools, and systems to own your category with confidence. You’ll be mentored by experienced leaders and industry experts who will advise and help you succeed. Plus, you’ll be part of a top-of-the-class cohort, growing and learning alongside peers with whom you’ll network and share ideas.
… then crush the day-to-day.
Thrive at the center of Walmart’s eCommerce Retail organization, equipped with the know-how you need to grow your category and deliver an incredible shopping experience. Your world will revolve around these “6 Its:”
- Have It:Provide the best assortment of products for our customers. Manage and monitor onboarding and item setup process to make sure products are available and ready to sell.
- Find It:Ensure customers can easily browse and find the products they want. Improve the navigation experience (browse/search) by managing and enhancing product attributes and taxonomy.
- Display It:Attract customers through compelling messaging and visual merchandising. Manage item and category pages including product imagery, rating reviews, and basic and enhanced content.
- Price It:Optimize item and category pricing and providing competitive pricing for our customers. Manage product margins and benchmark competitors.
- Deliver It:Work cross-functionally to ensure customers receive their products quickly and efficiently. Create a cohesive experience between online shopping and the physical product.
- Optimize It: Rinse and repeat. Conduct regular analysis of category performance, identifying key trends and improvement opportunities. Work with cross functional teams (across marketing, product and supply chain) to execute initiatives to optimize category performance.
- Any bachelor’s degree with a strong academic background.
- Direct category management experience is not required – just a founder’s mentality and bias toward action. Whatever challenge you face, you find a way to solve it.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Strong attention to detail; scrutinize your business and polish the customer experience.
- Strong communication and team work skills. Nothing big can be accomplished standing-alone in front of a computer.
- Ability to work in an ambiguous environment. You are a fundamental building block to a growing organization.
- Negotiation and persuasion skills.
- Ability to learn quickly; absorbing information and experiences and applying them.
- Previous internship or work experience is preferred.
Travel as needed. Immigration sponsorship will not be available for this position at this time.
Think you know Walmart? Think again.
Our wildly passionate eCommerce team is obsessed with finding ways to help our customers live better. Building upon the talent and expertise we’ve acquired with beloved brands like Jet.com, Bonobos, ModCloth, and more, we’re reimagining the shopping experience and raising the bar for an entire industry along the way. With startup vibes, Fortune One scale, and a culture that values kindness and transparency, it’s the ultimate innovator’s playground. Join our family and see what your future has in store.