Director, Fashion Photo Studio
- Location HOBOKEN, NJ
- Department Retail
- Team Fashion
- Employment Type -
- Position -
- Requisition GH1558575
What you'll do at
Walmart.com is looking for an experienced Director, Photography Studio: Item Photography to build and lead our new NJ based studio and produce best in class imagery and copy for our diverse product catalog. We’re looking for someone who has built and run a photo studio, who has a proven ability to ramp-up, plan, optimize and scale our production. This role will also be responsible for establishing successful internal and external partnerships, setting and executing short and long-term strategies and implementing systems to create scale.
Ideal candidate will be able to build a best in class a studio designed for optimal flow, lead continuous improvement of the studio to maximize capacity, increase operational efficiency and ensure image and copy standards are consistently met. Director will oversee a diverse team with responsibility over studio budgets, sample management, studio operations, photography, retouching and product copy. You will build strong partnerships with merchandising, operations, technology, and finance teams, removing roadblocks for your team to ensure a flawless customer experience. Customer and fashion obsession is a must with a focus on consistently innovating and raising the bar on customer experience.
The ideal candidate will be a self-starter who is detail oriented, organized, and demonstrates comfort with ambiguity. A positive attitude is a must with the ability to manage competing priorities in a fast-paced environment. The candidate will possess the ability to succeed with minimal guidance, be skilled at anticipating problems, and managing a large team.
- Plan and manage the execution of a high-volume, fast-paced e-commerce product photography studio with direct oversight of Sample Management, Studio Ops, Photography, Retouching and Copy
- Develop a long-term capacity strategy, workforce and workflow planning for studio operations
- Continuously improve productivity and processes and keep studio procedures up to date and well-documented, ensuring they are communicated proactively to full-time staff and contractors
- Drives continuous improvement and innovation by adopting industry trends
- Drive image and copy standard guidelines and ensure team executes consistently
- Develop and manage financial budgets including capital and expenses for item count and facilities needs
- Create, maintain and monitor reports to ensure critical information is going out to all studio and partner teams
- Develop and retain high-caliber teams by assessing current and future needs, and developing a holistic organizational model that scales with the needs of the business
- Collaborates closely with merchandising and digital operations teams to achieve business objective
- Builds, leads and manages a best in class photo studio team consisting of approximately 35 team members
- Oversee the development training materials and guides as needed including thoroughly documenting all processes and procedures
- Must be willing to be “hands on” to solve problems.
You are a risk taker—a dreamer who delivers. You have big ideas and can implement them with a positive attitude. You pride yourself on being the first of your friends to know what’s happening in the world. You have a passion for innovation in eCommerce. You want to be a part of one of the fastest growing eCommerce companies in the world, where the only constant is change.
- Functional Competencies:
- Demonstrated ability to manage high volumes of workflow including prioritization, planning and task delegation under tight deadlines
- Strong negotiation and budget management skills
- Previous experience leading a high-volume fashion studio
- Experience creating/measuring productivity and other operational metrics
- Proven experience leveraging technology and process improvement methodology to drive continuous innovation and improvement on a large scale
- Working knowledge on all areas of Product Photography, Model and Still Life
- Interpersonal Competencies:
- Experience successfully leading teams/functions through change
- Proven ability to effectively build and manage relationships
- Proven strength in both verbal and written communication, including ability to create and deliver presentations to senior management and large groups
- You are a proactive problem solver who operates effectively and independently, even in areas of uncertainty and ambiguity
- You are customer obsessed and champion the needs of customers and stakeholders throughout the item lifecycle process
- You are intellectually curious, technically savvy, and maintain a sense of humor and humility.
- Bachelor degree in business or related field or equivalent experience
- Minimum 8-10 years of experience running a high volume, high production fashion ecommerce photo studio with strong studio business and operations background
- Proven track record of lead and inspiring a large team
- Expertise in budgeting, planning, and managing an extensive shoot schedule
- Excellent technical skills and prior experience evaluating and implementing studio technologies
- Expert at creating and analyzing operational performance metrics
- Experience building out / expanding ecommerce photo studios
- Working knowledge of continuous improvement concepts including lean, six sigma and/or 5S
- Knowledgeable with Canon photography equipment
- Proficient in Capture One, Photoshop and Color Management Techniques and processes
- SEO experience a plus
- Ability to model Wal-Mart's three core values: Respect for the individual, Service to our customers, Strive for excellence
- The ability to anticipate business issues & influence managerial attention
- Ability to clearly state the vision and then successfully translate that vision into executable steps
Join a mission-oriented company that cares about customers and the environment: You will be making a real difference by helping busy families save money and time so that they can live better, and you will be part of a company that is using its strengths to promote the well-being of people and our planet.
Be part of a diverse, dynamic and fun work culture: Product managers, Merchants, Marketers, Engineers and Designers collaborate to envision, prototype, and bring revolutionary ideas to life in a dynamic, flexible and fun work culture. We’re passionate about empowering people to live and work brilliantly.
In a word: impact. As part of the Walmart family of brands, you’ll be able to access the resources and scale of a Fortune 1 company, while leveraging the innovative technology and nimble environment of an early stage startup.
What we’re saying is, this isn’t your average day job. If you’re hungry to catapult ideas into action and own your career, let’s chat.