Senior Software Engineer - DevOps
- Location HOBOKEN, NJ
- Department Technology
- Team Engineering
- Employment Type -
- Position -
- Requisition GH1555327
What you'll do at
About the Job
You'll be responsible for the design and deployment procedures of Jet's cloud offerings in collaboration with fellow software engineers.
- We are looking for an experienced software engineer to be the anchor member of our DevOps team.
- We use Microsoft Azure as our cloud delivery platform, While we have a good foundation of infrastructure as code/Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery, we need to invest more in our platform to support the growing team and to ensure stability of our services, which are now depended on by millions.
- We embrace continuous delivery; our servers usually get deployed about 50-100 times per day in multiple regions and our apps are pushed to lower environments after every commit. We are responsible for ensuring high availability and low latency for the billions of HTTP requests/events we receive every day.
There is a lot to do and a lot of leeway to define a roadmap, but among other things, We would expect you to:
- Automate everything! Especially in Azure
- Build Platform Tools (we use GoLang to build our cloud tools)
- Create and execute forward looking technology roadmap (We use Nomad as a cluster scheduler and Docker for containerization)
- Keep up with industry trends to ensure we are using the best tools and services
- Own and improve our integration, deployment and monitoring story
- Work closely with developers to solve systems problems.
- Contribute on a daily basis to code base
- Manage Pager Duty (our philosophy is you build it, you own it, you run it!)
- Collaborate with security team to deliver world class software
- Help build a great company
Skills & Requirements
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related technical discipline (or equivalent experience)
- Experience with managing cloud delivery platforms, Azure/AWS/GCE
- Deep understanding of cloud technologies such as virtualization, storage and network domains in a cloud service model.
- Hands on experience with one or more programming languages
- Experience with configuration management tools (Ansible, Chef, Puppet, etc). We use Ansible.
- Knowledge of relational databases (SQL Server is a plus)
- Working knowledge of running and tuning applications in production
- Hands on experience with build tools and the Git version control system
- Hands on experience with Docker / Kubernetes / Mesos / Nomad
- Experience of working in Agile/SCRUM teams
- Attention to detail in their code and output
Technologies We Use
Microsoft Azure, Nomad, Prometheus, Docker, F#, Golang, Ansible, Consul, Vault, Vagrant, Microsoft SQL Server, Redis, ElasticSearch, Kafka, Zookeeper, EventStore, Jenkins, Artifactory, Ubuntu Linux, Windows Server, New Relic, Splunk, Nagios, PagerDuty
Jet is reshaping ecommerce as we know it. Based in Hoboken NJ (just 10 min from Manhattan), we are a shopping site on the relentless pursuit to build the greatest shopping experience in the world. At Jet, we believe in bold. That means taking risks, asking “why not”, looking where no ones looked before and bringing it! Our engineers are utilizing world class technologies, to optimize the supply chain, remove unnecessary costs, sprinkle in some surprise and delight all while saving customers every penny possible and we’re just getting started. At Jet, we have worked hard to build a culture that stresses the importance of learning and sharing knowledge. If you want to be part of the team that is changing the shopping norm and learning a lot along the way, we have a hunch you’d look good in purple.
See what we’ve been up to
"A New & Improved Saving Experience" // by Jessica Anerella, Product Design at Jet.com