Staff Software Engineer
- Location HOBOKEN, NJ
- Department Technology
- Team Engineering
- Employment Type -
- Position -
- Requisition GH1480388
What you'll do at
We need super smart engineers from all levels to help us build one of the best engineered e-commerce platform in the world (big talk we know, but that is our goal!). Our engineers combine creativity, curiosity, and drive to continuously perfect and revolutionize Jet from the inside out. We are looking to bring more intellectually curious engineers who are passionate about technology in general (Jet is a technology first company and prides itself on its culture of learning and knowledge sharing and we want all our engineers to be as passionate as we are!)
What you will be Working on
Our platform is largely an event driven platform implemented via a microservice architecture. The platform runs in the cloud and uses a large number of technologies and middle ware. The bulk of backend code is written in the functional style (F#) and our system of record is an event sourced system (essentially a log of all actions on the platform). We use a mix of Kafka, Redis, Elastic Search, Azure SQL, Event Store and Azure Storage for our data stores. About 50% of the platform runs on Linux and the rest Windows (although we move into more containerization, we will see a shift towards Linux).
What you will do:
- Responsible for the design, implementation, testing, deployment, and operations of fault- tolerant, scalable, and maintainable low-latency, high-throughput distributed systems.
- Shares ownership of overall team productivity with the Dev Manager.
- You take Pride in mentoring junior and other senior engineers.
- Understands both the “what” and the “why” of our core technical/architectural principles.
- Empowers engineers to work with as much autonomy as possible by clearly and effectively communicating technical principles and decision criteria.
- Guides and mentors’ engineers to effective decisions when needed.
- Responsible for the operational excellence of the system, ensures that effective metrics, KPIs, and diagnostics are identified, tracked and widely understood.
- Works with Product Managers to ensure that technical strategic needs are accounted for and reflected in the roadmap.
- Takes a visible and active leadership role in large-scale strategic cross-team initiatives.
What you will have :
- Bachelor of Science degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field and over 8 years of software engineering experience.
- Demonstrated expert level experience in one or more modern programming languages.
- Experience with and demonstrated understanding of high-throughput, low-latency, fault-tolerant distributed systems.
- Experience with public cloud, preferably Azure
- Deep understanding of concurrency, asynchronous and reactive programming concepts.
- We love engineers experienced with functional programming (P.S. If you are C++ or Java or C# or Python developer and willing to learn a new language, we love you too!)
- Understands the importance of operations in production systems (logging, telemetry, alerting etc.)
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills
Jet is reshaping ecommerce as we know it. Based in Hoboken NJ (just 10 min from Manhattan), we are a shopping site on the relentless pursuit to build the greatest shopping experience in the world. At Jet, we believe in bold. That means taking risks, asking “why not”, looking where no ones looked before and bringing it! Our engineers are utilizing world class technologies, to optimize the supply chain, remove unnecessary costs, sprinkle in some surprise and delight all while saving customers every penny possible and we’re just getting started. At Jet, we have worked hard to build a culture that stresses the importance of learning and sharing knowledge. If you want to be part of the team that is changing the shopping norm and learning a lot along the way, we have a hunch you’d look good in purple.