Category Manager - Building Supplies, Plumbing & Electrical
- Location SAN BRUNO, CA
- Department Retail
- Team Enthusiast and Professional
- Employment Type -
- Position -
- Requisition GH1322716
What you'll do at
Category Manager Building Supplies, Electrical & Plumbing
The Category Manager is the business owner of three key categories (Building Supplies, Electrical & Plumbing) that are part of the Walmart Home Improvement business. The Category Manager is responsible for these product categories across the suite of Walmart US eCommerce websites – including Walmart.com, Jet and Hayneedle.
Creativity and agility will be paramount as you identify retail trends and synthesize information and partnerships across multiple cross-functional touch points – providing forecasts and business solutions in a fast-paced, multi-dimensional environment. Your job is to bring the “art” to the “science” – using your intuition and expertise fueled by data, analytics and, above all, a passion for helping our customers save money and live better.
Your ultimate goal is to oversee a team to expand your business, grow its profitability, and make our sites the most compelling destination online to shop your assortment. This position reports to the Category Director of Home Improvement however in the short-term to the Vice President/GM of Home Improvement. You will be part of a diverse and motivated team that cares about the experience we provide to each individual.
Challenges you’ll be tackling:
Own the Building Supplies, Electrical and Plumbing categories – end to end: We have made some good strides in developing these categories over the last two years, however a lot of work is required to offer the customer a comprehensive assortment that is easy to shop. You will be responsible for maintaining this momentum and striving for double digit growth. You will be nurturing great relationships we have with leading brands in the industry and creating relationships with new suppliers and sellers to join our platforms and to provide customers an even broader selection of products. You will be on top of the numbers in your category and able to explain all aspects of the categories to senior leaders (sales, pricing, traffic, inventory, contribution profit etc.)
Build a best in class customer experience: we are seeing some good momentum with our male and female customers in these categories. We aspire to create an experience where it’s easy to find and choose the product you need. You will be in charge to deliver a top notch online shopping experience across all categories you are managing. To do so understanding the customer, how (s)he shops and finding ways to delight him/her. You will be working together with the Site, Creative and Marketing teams to determine what your category looks like, how products are sourced, found, displayed, delivered, and finally, marketed to our millions of customers around the USA!
Managing and inspiring a team of category experts: You will be a part of hiring, managing and inspiring our category specialists (6-10), some fresh out of college, who will own subcategories within your categories and allow you to deliver an amazing customer experience for every product we sell across all our channels. Your category specialists will be mini-GMs, and you will empower them to build the ultimate experience for customers and to enjoy an interesting and fun career at Walmart!
- Own category financial targets and KPIs (e.g. GMV, margin, contribution profit), and identify (and execute upon) levers to achieve those targets
- Evolve and elevate the category’s assortment strategy through in-market expertise and identifying assortment gaps and opportunities
- Optimize the product sourcing mix across manufacturers, distributors and third-party retailers
- Work with planning and supply chain partners to manage owned inventory in your category
- Plan for and manage seasonal demand fluctuations in your categories
- Own vendor relationships, including negotiating product costs and supplier funding
- Ensure holistic price competitiveness/adherence
- Manage on-site product presentation and catalog data, and drive requirements into the search and browse experience – Taxonomy, Navigation, Tagging, Attributes
- Create a marketing leading site experience for your categories
- Collaborate with marketing and creative teams on category messaging
- Drive cross-channel and company initiatives to achieve global strategic multi-channel plans
- Manage, inspire and empower a team of category specialists and experts
- Promote and supports company policies, procedures, mission, values, and standards of ethics and integrity
How you’ll know it’s right:
- If you like owning something and being accountable for its outcomes…
- If you can drive results and solve problems in fun and creative ways…
- If you want to do things in our industry that have not been done…
- If you understand that without risk there is no reward…
- If you want to run your own company one day…
- 5+ years of proven experience in retail; eCommerce experience preferred
- 2+ years of managerial experience preferred
- Strong analytical skillset; ability to identify relevant data sources and extract insights from data
- Sound commercial acumen; track record of developing and executing strategies aligned to business goals, and taking calculated risks while appropriately managing trade-offs
- Proven track record of establishing and developing business relationships, and in complex negotiations
- Experience managing and creating new categories of business in extremely competitive environment preferred
- Empowers and helps others to improve on current ways of working, promotes new and innovative ideas and recognizes/rewards good ideas.
- Proactive individual that is a self-starter and take initiative
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience; Masters appreciated.
Our mission is to make complex simple and fun. We want to stretch the boundaries of what’s possible online and bring suppliers and sellers with us on this journey. Every day we want to save busy families time and money whilst they are striving to achieve their dreams.
If this mission sounds exciting to you, come join us!
Walmart Ecommerce is changing the way the world shops. Our team of builders, thinkers, risk-takers, and dreamers is pushing the boundaries to create a world-class shopping experience that saves customers every penny possible. To win, we need people like YOU: curious, determined, and outrageously passionate. Sound like a fit? Let’s make a date.