Senior Data Engineer
- Location HOBOKEN, NJ
- Department Technology
- Team Engineering
- Employment Type -
- Position -
- Requisition GH1317815
What you'll do at
We need super smart engineers from all levels to help us build one of the best engineered e-commerce platform in the world (big talk we know, but that is our goal!). Our engineers combine creativity, curiosity, and drive to continuously perfect and revolutionize Jet from the inside out. We are looking to bring more intellectually curious engineers who are passionate about technology in general (Jet is a technology first company and prides itself on its culture of learning and knowledge sharing and we want all our engineers to be as passionate as we are!)
What you will be Working on
Our high-volume inventory system tracks the available quantities of all our items of sale, known as stock-keeping units (SKUs). We cover Jet.com, Walmart owned warehouses and all our partner merchant warehouses, along with quantities reserved from in-flight orders.
Customers expect that the availability of an item for sale is a true and accurate representation of what that retailer can fulfill. The Unified Inventory system’s purpose is to ensure that this expectation is met. As Walmart builds deeper and richer digital experiences with its customers, this expectation becomes more complex, and it is the role of the Unified Inventory team to abstract away this complexity for downstream systems.
We are looking for an exceptionally talented Data Engineer to envision and apply machine learning to tackle challenges like predicting inventory availability and cancellations.
- Research and develop statistical learning models for data analysis
- Identify valuable data sources and automate collection processes
- Undertake preprocessing of structured and unstructured data
- Analyze large amounts of information to discover trends and patterns
- Build predictive models and machine-learning algorithms
- Combine models through ensemble modeling
- Present information using data visualization techniques
- Propose solutions and strategies to business challenges
- Collaborate with engineering and product development teams
- Proven track record with machine learning, data science architecture & implementation
- Experience with predictive modeling
- Strong experience with one or more of the following languages: Java, Scala, Python, C#, F#
- 3+ years’ experience in engineering data solutions using technologies including Spark (batch/streaming), Hadoop, Hive, HBase, Kafka, Oozie, Yarn, etc.
- Solid hands-on experience in building data pipelines, deploying and managing Big Data infrastructure, establishing deployment and operation excellence of Big Data clusters.
- Experience with relational and NoSQL databases
- Proven experience in building or improving large scale data infrastructure from the ground up. This could include building highly performant data movement pipelines and/or automation and monitoring
- Experience with fine-tuning of Big Data clusters and related jobs
- Experience with R is a plus
- Solid understanding of how to use data structures to solve problems optimally.
- In depth knowledge of runtime and space complexity of data structures and the proposed solution.
- Good understanding of event-driven systems.
- Experience with Apache Kafka or similar streaming platform.
- Comfortable working in a .NET and Azure environment.
Jet is reshaping ecommerce as we know it. Based in Hoboken NJ (just 10 min from Manhattan), we are a shopping site on the relentless pursuit to build the greatest shopping experience in the world. At Jet, we believe in bold. That means taking risks, asking “why not”, looking where no ones looked before and bringing it! Our engineers are utilizing world class technologies, to optimize the supply chain, remove unnecessary costs, sprinkle in some surprise and delight all while saving customers every penny possible and we’re just getting started. At Jet, we have worked hard to build a culture that stresses the importance of learning and sharing knowledge. If you want to be part of the team that is changing the shopping norm and learning a lot along the way, we have a hunch you’d look good in purple.