Senior Design & Innovation Engineer, Fulfillment Engineering
- Location HOBOKEN, NJ
- Department Operations
- Team Operations
- Employment Type -
- Position -
- Requisition GH1228149
What you'll do at
The Senior Design & Innovation Engineer, Fulfillment Engineering is responsible for discovering, researching, and integrating next generation automation solutions as a part of the overall order fulfillment warehouse design. The solutions will be used within the extended Walmart e-commerce fulfillment network (including Walmart sortable, Walmart Non-sortable, Jet Sortable, Jet Fresh, Sam’s Club, Hayneedle, Shoebuy, etc.) to lower Variable Cost Per Unit (VCPU) and Total Cost Per Unit (TCUP).
Challenges you’ll be tackling:
Evaluate and Integrate Core Technologies: You will be responsible for evaluating core technologies (e.g. Automatic Storage and Retrieval Systems, Automatic Guided Vehicles, Robotic end effectors, Wearable technology, Machine Vision, Virtual/Augmented reality, Artificial Intelligence Systems, etc.) and integrating them in an unique and creative way that helps solve a business problem and improve the customer and associate experience.
Contribute to the Design of Next Generation Technologies: You will lead the technical research and design of next generation technologies to support the growth of the e-commerce fulfillment network. Lead the technical assessment of potential suppliers and assist with the selection, use and application of automated processes within the extended Walmart e-commerce fulfillment network. Establish solutions that support the vision for the implementation of cutting edge automated systems and solutions that enable the Walmart e-commerce fulfillment network to meet or exceed corporate goals.
Work in conjunction with several team members: You will lead the evaluation of innovative automation solutions and make recommendations to the engineering leadership team on potential solutions that meet/exceed the requirements of network wide deployment. Collaborate with the suppliers and other cross functional partners to identify necessary systems, network, electrical, pneumatic and controls design requirement and coordinate the execution of necessary activities to successfully complete the automation pilot/proof of concept.
- Lead the technical assessment of potential suppliers and assist with the selection, use and application of automated processes within the extended Walmart e-commerce fulfillment network.
- Establish solutions that support the vision for the implementation of cutting edge automated systems and solutions that enable the Walmart e-commerce fulfillment network to meet or exceed corporate goals.
- Lead the alpha and beta tests for innovative automation solutions and make recommendations to the engineering leadership team on potential solutions that meet/exceed the requirements of network wide deployment.
- Develop detailed test cases to evaluate the automation solution in partnership with operation and other cross functional team members and perform acceptance testing to ensure the solution meet or exceeds the requirements. Specifically ensure the design is capable of handling edge cases.
- Support continuous improvement by actively adhering to lean principles, design of experiments , failure mode effect analysis, Design for Six Sigma, design for Mean Time To Repair (MTTR).
- Based on the system design, make recommendations to strategy, operations and process/systems engineering team on key performance indicators and service level goals.
- Ensure that technical assistance is provided to the Program Managers, General Managers (GMs), operations team leaders and maintenance personnel through the implementation, start-up and operation of new automation as needed. Aid the GMs and their teams with respect to properly leveraging the investment in automated equipment and overall fulfillment process, as needed. Help raise the technical capabilities of the facilities by assisting in the training of maintenance personnel and operations personnel. Provide training and assistance in writing Standard Operating Practices (SOPs), establishing Lean methodologies, maintenance and service procedures, parameter settings, etc., as needed.
How you’ll know it’s right:
Analytical Thinking/Problem solving - Be an expert in solving complex problems by understanding the underlying root cause of a difficult situation/requirement and solve it using creative methods. Ability to break down complex problems in to small parts and solve them in a systematic manner that achieves the overall desired results. Ability to identify and evaluate multiple options and alternatives and effectively determine the appropriate action based on available information.
Adaptability - Demonstrates resourcefulness and resilience in the face of change, obstacles, and adversity. Adapts to competing demands and shifting priorities. Updates knowledge and skills to handle new complexities, challenges, and responsibilities (for example, seeking out training, learning from experience, researching best practices, new emerging technologies and companies that can be leveraged for future solutions). Seeks exposure to new ideas and perspectives.
Judgment - Uses objective financial and business analyses to evaluate the returns and risks of business choices. Analyzes and integrates trends and patterns to determine the root causes of problems and identify solutions. Evaluates short- and long-term implications of decisions. Leverages experience to assess existing technologies, with the vision to see what could be, and can properly calculate risk to make sound judgements upon which technologies to pursue.
Execution and Results - Uses the advantage of company size, internal and external resources, and talent to achieve success. Applies broad, cross-functional knowledge and resources to produce results that best fit the company strategy. Prioritizes and balances time, actions, resources, and initiatives to ensure accomplishment of critical results.
Customer/Member Centered - Creates and maintains an environment that provides customers/members with desired products, services, and experiences. Combines experience, insight, and data to determine how to best exceed customer/member needs. Develops and implements initiatives, practices, and plans to capitalize on customer/member-focused growth and improvement opportunities. Ensures the removal of barriers to delivering exceptional customer/member value, service, and support.
Planning and Improvement - Develops and implements plans and practices ensuring others have the information, resources, implementation time, and talent needed to succeed. Engages in continuous improvement and elimination of non-value-added work. Failure Mode Effects Analysis (FMEA), Design of Experiments (DOE), Finite Element Analysis (FEA), Design for Six Sigma, design for Mean Time To Repair (MTTR), etc. as appropriate.
Influence and Communicate - Develops and communicates logical, convincing justifications, including lessons learned, that build commitment and support for one's perspectives and initiatives.
Ethics and Compliance - Supports an environment where adherence to and reinforcement of the highest standards of integrity and ethics are the norm. Identifies opportunities and acts to enhance compliance.
Travels domestically to and from Hoboken, Bentonville, San Bruno and all Walmart and Jet facilities or work-sites to participate in meetings, workshops, company events, etc. requiring overnight stays. (Percent of travel = 50% or more)
• Minimum of 6 years’ experience working on design of automation / automated systems. Experience should span Innovation, Design, Manufacturing, Implementation, Start-up and Operations including Maintenance and Customer Service.
• Minimum of 2 years of operations experience working in a highly-automated facility or high speed manufacturing environment or within a fulfillment center, distribution center, or warehouse.
• Lean Manufacturing experience including Design for Six Sigma, FMEA, DOE, FEA, Design for Manufacture, Design for Repair, and reliability testing.
• Bachelor's Degree in Automation Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science/Engineering, Industrial Engineering or related technical field.
• Master’s degree in technical engineering discipline
• Previous e-commerce experience as design or automation engineering or similar.
• Previous experience leading complex and large automation system designs.
• PhD in a technical field.
• Prior experience with patent protection and intellectual property protection.
Jet.com is changing the way the world shops. Founded on three simple values – trust, transparency and fairness – Jet is powered by a real-time pricing engine that finds innovative ways to pull costs out of the supply chain, creating more value for shoppers, retailers, and brands. Based in Hoboken, NJ—just ten minutes from Manhattan—our team of builders, thinkers, risk-takers, and dreamers is pushing the boundaries to create a world-class shopping experience. To win, we need people like YOU: curious, determined, and outrageously passionate. Sound like a fit? Let’s make a date.