Category Specialist Lead, Pet
- Location HOBOKEN, NJ
- Department Retail
- Team Retail
- Employment Type -
- Position -
- Requisition GH1105769
What you'll do at
The Category Specialist Lead, Pet is responsible for ensuring their Pet category has a market-leading assortment, excellent financial performance and a great shopper experience across all of Walmart’s Ecommerce brands – Jet.com and Walmart.com (and whatever other brands join our family). Your goal is to create the ultimate online destination for customers who turn to Jet.com and Walmart.com first when they are shopping for their furry / scaly / feathery loved one!
Challenges you’ll be tackling:
Own your Pet category – end to end – across all our ecommerce brands: You will be responsible for the performance of your category across all of Walmart’s Ecommerce brands – Jet.com, Walmart.com and Hayneedle.com, and be responsible for assortment, financial performance, merchandising, and pricing.
Work with product and marketing to build your Pet brands and enhance the customer experience: You will be working alongside embedded marketing and product resources to determine what your category looks like, how products are sourced, found, displayed, and finally, marketed to our millions of customers around the USA!
Beginning to manage and inspiring entry category specialists: You will begin to be a part of hiring, and inspiring our category experts fresh out of college – and depending on the category, may even begin managing a smaller team of specialists if and when you’re up to it!
- Be an expert in all systems and processes required to manage your category
- Own category financial targets (e.g. GMV and margin), and identify (and execute upon) levers to achieve those targets
- Continually evolve the category’s assortment strategy through in-market expertise (which may need to be self taught), and manage any assortment gaps
- Own and optimize the product sourcing mix across manufacturers, distributors and third-party retailers
- Begin to own vendor relationships autonomously
- Ensure holistic price competitiveness/adherence
- Manage on-site product presentation and catalog data, and drive requirements into the search and browse experience – Taxonomy, Navigation, Tagging, Attributes
- Identify shopper experience and product work-flow enhancement opportunities and collaborate with product teams to execute
- Collaborate with marketing teams around category promotions
- Depending on the category and your readiness, you may begin to manage a smaller team of category specialists and experts
How you’ll know it’s right:
- If when you see a dog/cat/InsertOtherAnimalHere you immediately start making “oh my that is soooo cute I NEED to pat/stroke/InsertOtherLovingActionHere” sort of noises…
- If you like owning something and being accountable for its outcomes…
- If you want to do things in our industry that have not been done…
- If you understand that without risk there is no reward…
- If you want to run your own company one day…
We think you’d look great in purple.
- BA/BS degree, with 3 – 5 years of relevant professional experience within, but not limited to, an e-commerce or retail merchandising, category management, business development and/or strategy capacity at a top tier consulting or investment banking firm
- Proven ability to manage multiple, time-sensitive projects and competing priorities simultaneously, work independently, and drive projects to completion with minimum guidance and high attention to detail
- Experience or demonstrated knowledge of online/offline retail or consumer internet technologies preferred